Hello Fellow Ruggers!
We would like to introduce you to Charles, he is the oldest World War II veteran in Miami. He is a native to Miami/Overtown. Mr. Charles enlisted himself in the United States Army in 1943 and fought in the battle of Normandy. He was the first African American male to work at the United States Post Office in Miami, although retired in lithography. Last year, he was the recipient of The French Legion of Honor Award for his heroic efforts in World War II.
Today, Mr. Charles lives in his longtime home in Buena Vista in distressful living conditions (Please see pictures).
Please see the list of his needs below with the items that remain to be met. The money raised will be going to permits, material, appliances, and anything home renovation related.
We will continue to update the post with pictures and let you know how the money raised has been allocated. Any additional funds will be distributed evenly to His House Children’s Home in Miami and Operation Homefront.
P.S. This man is truly a legend and unfortunately, is ONLY living on his Social Security Income. At the end of every month he has 100.00 to decide if he is going to buy food, pay for transportation to the doctors, or have something repaired.
1. Replace dry wall damaged on the ceilings and walls from roof leak, and remove any possible mold in the home.
2. The home has iron security protection on all windows that need emergency exit upgrade.
3. Electrical outlets and lights that need replacing from water damage
4. Home insulation need to be replaced or added from water damage
5. Plumbing repairs for current leaks and upgrades are needed due to aging of home.
6. All Windows need upgrade, current are all aged and out dated with respect to energy efficiency and hurricane safety protection.
7. All Window awnings need replacing, if Window upgraded then might not need to be replaced.
8. All interior and exterior walls need repainting and patched from age and water damage.
Paint needs to be donated
Flooring need repair or replacement from water damage.
Items that would improve daily living needs by replacing or repairing:
-Cabinets in the Kitchen
-Patio roof patches need repair
-Furniture cleaning or replacing (Sofa, Lazy boy recliner, etc…)
-Source of transportation ( small used car or an UBER account)
Note: Temporary housing may be required for some the above repair work, so if a Motel or other offers available the consideration is appreciated. – Is in the midst of being figured out with VA Liaison, but varies based on how long he will need
******Items ALREADY Donated********
- Air Conditioning needs service and possible upgrade- donated by anonymous vendor and anonymous fire fighter and veteran
- Painters have been identified by the Youth Explorers
- Mold inspection- Mold Company
- VA Benefits/financial support – VA Social Worker is working on applying for monthly aid assistance program.
- Stove- to be donated by American Legion
- Washer and Dryer – to be donated by Aviation Company
- Picture frames – donated by Police Officer
- Landscaping – donated by Local Landscaping
- Replace roof on the home, requires hiring roofing contractor, pulling permits and upgrading any new zoning requirements. The house has numerous roof leaks. Donated by Home Depot
**Please note that the roof will be fixed in a couple weeks pending permits and 24 hours of no rain**
Updated 16:26 - 9 Aug 2017 by Jose Bermudez